Author's Bio.

My photo
Mushroom Montoya circumnavigated the globe aboard the USS Trippe DE1075 after killing soldiers, woman and children in Viet Nam. Now, as a shaman, he heals the planet one person at a time. Mushroom Montoya has an active shamanic healing practice in Long Beach, California and he teaches at the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at Cal State Univ. Long Beach.

Friday, March 16, 2018

SMILINGEST KID


     During our tour of duty in Viet Nam, we pulled into Subic Bay, Philippines for some R&R. A few of my shipmates and I spent a night a Grande Island, in the middle of Subic Bay. As darkness engulfed the island we sat in the hut at golf tee number 7 on top of the hill. We told stories long into the night while watching storm clouds collide and generate lightning and thunder on the other side of the bay. It reminded me of camping when I was a boy. I told my shipmates about the award I received when I went camping with the Boys Club:

    Excited anticipation coursed through our 12-year-old bodies as the Boys Club bus climbed the San Bernadino Mountain, on our way to Camp Hihill. We would get to spend a whole week in the mountains, away from school, teachers, and, parents. The only adults were the camp counselors
     We spent the first evening around the swimming pool watching the bats catch flying bugs. The camp counselors had strung a white sheet onto a line that hung over the pool. They shined a light on it that brought the bugs for the bats to feast on. We all watched in amazement. 
     We spent the days hiking and exploring. The darkness of the nights created the backdrop for the stories we listened to while sitting around a campfire eating gooey and hot marshmallows. On the last day, the counselors passed out awards. I received the one for being the Smilingest Kid in camp.

     When I listed that award on my resume, my spouse told me it was not appropriate. I put in anyway.

1 comment: