Author's Bio.

My photo
Mushroom Montoya circumnavigated the globe aboard the USS Trippe DE1075 after killing soldiers, woman and children in Viet Nam. Now, as a shaman, he heals the planet one person at a time. Mushroom Montoya has an active shamanic healing practice in Long Beach, California and he teaches at the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at Cal State Univ. Long Beach.

Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Viet Nam Trigger

Today, a BIG,  pain infested sadness
Punched me without warning. 
As it snuck onto the surface 
Of my tongue.
It hid deep in the scent, 
As I drank a Heineken beerIn a Vietnamese restaurant.
That all too familiar scent 
Of the beer that I had drunk
When our ship sailed away
From the war
To repair and to replenish

In Subic Bay.
That cruel heartless sadness
Grabbed my umbilical cord
And yanked me across the Pacific Ocean
All the way back to Viet Nam. 
All the way back to 1972,
My tears drip.
I try to grip
Something, anything
That convinces me 
That 1972 is only a memory
It is only the sadness
That can hurt me now.

And I thank God
That sadness is temporary.

No comments:

Post a Comment