Author's Bio.

My photo
Mushroom Montoya circumnavigated the globe aboard the USS Trippe DE1075 after killing soldiers, woman and children in Viet Nam. Now, as a shaman, he heals the planet one person at a time. Mushroom Montoya has an active shamanic healing practice in Long Beach, California and he teaches at the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at Cal State Univ. Long Beach.

Sunday, October 11, 2020

Covid Shackles My Ankles

I don't like Covid’s confinement.

It reminds me of being aboard,

Although never bored,

On the USS Trippe


Before we actually started

To sail our circumnavigation,

Completely around the world


With our first port,

Being Roosevlt Roads,

In beautiful Puerto Rico,


With its super clear water,

And people who spoke

Espanol much faster

Than my family did back home.


Covid’s confinement 

Shackles my ankles,

Or more correctly, 

My car’s black tires,


All the while, leaving 

Fattening snacks

Within too easy reach

Of my two too willing hands.


Thank goodness for my neighbor

Who helps keep me trim,

By letting me swim

In his kidney-shaped

Sky reflecting swimming pool,


Over which the Canadian Geese

Fly in their V formation

Laughing a lively conversation

On their trip to the park,


While I swim back and forth,

Expressing my gratitude

To the Water Spirits,

To whales, dolphins, clams, and eels.


After which I come home,

With my opened heart and cleared mind,

To sit at my desk,

To dance my fingers across the keyboard,


And begin to gather muses and thoughts

Stirring the pots on the stove of my mind,

Cooking complaints and whipping up solutions,

Boiling dreams and scenes of beauty

Into my poems.


No comments:

Post a Comment