Author's Bio.

My photo
Mushroom Montoya circumnavigated the globe aboard the USS Trippe DE1075 after killing soldiers, woman and children in Viet Nam. Now, as a shaman, he heals the planet one person at a time. Mushroom Montoya has an active shamanic healing practice in Long Beach, California and he teaches at the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at Cal State Univ. Long Beach.

Friday, April 22, 2022

My Eyes Screamed, STOP

By Mushroom Montoya


My eyes screamed STOP!

As I stood my battle station watch

Aboard my ship on the Viet Nam gunline,

Bearing guilt-riddled witness

To teenage bodies we're blasting apart.

 

God have mercy on our souls!

 

Our five-inch gun turning mothers,

 And the few surviving fathers

Into forever grievers.

The Vietnamese farmers and fishermen

Are God's children Too

 

God have mercy on our souls.

 

I cry for those mothers and fathers

And can't help but wonder

Is my dead son the price I pay

Because "Thou shalt not kill"

I felt duty-bound to disobey?

 

God have mercy on our souls.


Even though more than 50 years have passed

A maleficent thought continues to slash

My sense of time and where I am,

Sending me back to Viet Nam.

 

God have mercy on our souls.


I have learned that war is hate,

And I will no longer take the bait

Into believing that anyone is less

Than God's child too.

 

But I am haunted by those teenage boys

Who should have been playing with their toys

But instead, I witnessed them being blown apart,

And forevermore breaking their parent's hearts.

 

God have mercy on our souls.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment