Author's Bio.

My photo
Mushroom Montoya circumnavigated the globe aboard the USS Trippe DE1075 after killing soldiers, woman and children in Viet Nam. Now, as a shaman, he heals the planet one person at a time. Mushroom Montoya has an active shamanic healing practice in Long Beach, California and he teaches at the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at Cal State Univ. Long Beach.

Friday, July 13, 2018

NAVY TYPEWRITER



I used to write letters on the USS Truxtun's typewriter in CIC (Command Information Center)when we were in the Tonkin Gulf. CIC was the ship’s brain. Radiomen, Sonarmen, and others fed information to the officers, who used the information to strategize and make decisions. It was restricted space. I really had no business being in CIC. However, no one ever asked me what I was writing or why I was in there. 
I had typing paper, but no eraser. Ships are in constant motion, rocking and rolling over the swells. Therefore, when I typed, typos were common. When I did a typo on the first letter of a word, I would stop and try to figure out what word I could use that started with that letter. Sometimes my letters went in directions I had not originally intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment